Monday, January 24, 2011

10th Mountain Division

Today, I was speaking to one of the members of the team I work in at work. He told me a story today of his great uncle who during World War II served in the 10th Mountain Division in Italy. The sad part of the story was that my friend's great uncle had survived the war up until April 10, 1945 when he was shot and killed by a German sniper. The war in Europe would end in May of 1945.

My friend showed me some pictures of some of the items of his great uncle's that they have in his possesion. They have a huge collection of letters that his great uncle wrote of his experience during the war and newspapers including Stars and Stripes that he had collected. They also, have a very nice collection of pictures showing his great uncle and the unit he was in. I suggested to my friend that he publish his Uncle's letters and he is seriously thinking about it.

My friend also told me that his grandfather had served in WWI. He was a soldier in the French Army and had fought in Verdun, one of the bloodiest battles of the war. He still has his grandfather's uniform.

Let us remember these two soldiers. I truly thank them for the service they gave and their stories are what History is all about. May we remember them always.

No comments:

Post a Comment